Eye In The Sky
NHGPC Forum Activity
- New android gps + vario for free flight - theairdroid - Wednesday, 12 June 2013 12:15
- SABB night - timcwalthew - Tuesday, 19 June 2012 23:04
- S.A.B.B night - timcwalthew - Wednesday, 06 June 2012 19:42
- Watching a paraglider at sheringham and would love... - seadog - Friday, 27 April 2012 14:03
- Spring Fling + Awards Ceremony - Saturday 28th Apr... - darrenb - Saturday, 07 April 2012 11:10
|Saturday 26th Sept -|
Charged up to the tow field only to see lovely altostratus or so covering the sky. Had a few tows and chatted with the pilots but not much going up. By early afternoon however it was breaking and scatter cumulus was visible.
About 3pm it had broken sufficiently for the sun to have a good look and the ground and get it pumping. Mark R suggested that this was the 'window' of the day, and indeed it was.
Towed up whilst looking at Woody circling above and Bart circling low downwind. Over the eastern hedge and zeroing at 500ft the thermal solidified as it approached the farm in the north east corner. (Or I finally wandered into the core) and I had a lovely smooth climb to 3200ft. Halfway through the climb out I saw Mark R dart over but encounter nothing but sink and land sharpish. Looked out to see Woody and Bart circling a couple of k's away on aline just north of Dereham.
After relaxing a taking some photos suddenly realized I had been in a nice 2 (m/s) or so down for the last few minutes and was down to 1800ft. So camera away and scratching around underneath Woody and Bart who were happily circling above.
Quickly gave up and started heading home with quite a nice groundspeed, didn't check GPS, and landed north of the A47 above Wendling.
Managed 5k out and maybe a 1.5k back, staying up for just over half an hour; but I really enjoyed having a quick blast with my mates on a lovely autumn day!
Thanks to Bill, Mark R and Woody and anyone else who winched.